Construction Accident Kills Maggie Valley Mayor
About the Fatal Construction Accident
According to WECT TV6 News, Mayor Ron DeSimone died Friday July 17th when heavy building material fell from a roof that was above him in Maggie Valley, North Carolina..
It was reported by Chief Sutton that the death was ruled as an accident. DeSimone leaves beind a wife and two daughters.
Town clerk Vickie Best said that the general contractor was working to build tourism and economic development in the area.
Ron DeSimone became mayor of the Haywood County in 2011 and had reportedly planned to run for re-election.
Statistics about Work Place Accidents
Information below provided by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 828 worker fatalities in 2013 were in construction
- Being struck by an object accounts for 10.1% of construction deaths
- The leading causes of deaths on construction sites in 2013 were falls, being stuck by an object, electrocution, and caught-in/between objects
- Fatal work injuries involving contractors accounted for 16 percent of all fatal work injuries in 2013
- Fall protection, construction is the number one frequently cited standard by OSHA in the year 2014