Construction Accident on SIUE Campus Leaves 1 Dead
Information About the Accident:
Keller Construction was hired by the university to repave Stadium Drive. SIUE students and faculty were reportedly using the road to reach an archaeological dig.
During the paving process, a piece of construction equipment broke loose and rolled down an embankment. After breaking loose, the equipment fatally struck one construction worker.
No other injuries were reported.
National Workplace Accident Statistics
According to the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA):
- 4,585 workers died as a result of an accident at work in 2013.
- In 2013, an average of 12 workers died on the job every day.
- 16 percent of all work-related fatalities involve contractors.
- 20 percent of all workplace deaths come from construction workers.
- On average, 478 construction workers die as a result of one of these four causes of death every year.