Construction Accident Victim Awarded $3M
A 52-year-old truck driver has been awarded over $3M for injuries sustained from a 14,000 lb crane falling 30 stories, crushing a nearby house. The plaintiff sued the equipment company that owned the crane for negligence.
Details About the Incident
- In January 2008, the plaintiff was delivering drywall to a construction project in Miami when the crane fell. At the time of the accident, the plaintiff truck driver was on top of his truck when the crane was reported to have fallen 20 to 100 feet away from the plaintiff, allegedly causing the plaintiff to fall off of his truck 13 feet to the ground.
- Because of the fall, the plaintiff claimed to have suffered a herniated disc and bulging discs on his spine, and a torn meniscus on his left knee.
- The plaintiff underwent two cervical fusions approximately one year after the accident, and arthroscopic knee surgery two years after the accident. Then, three years after the accident, the plaintiff underwent a lumbar discectomy.
- The plaintiff claims that he would need continued medical monitoring, future back surgery, and possible future knee replacement.
- The plaintiff also claims that he is in severe pain every day, and suffers from depression as a result.
- Furthermore, the plaintiff says that he is unable to do simple activities as walk for long periods of time, and turn his neck. Carrying children has become more difficult as well.
- The plaintiff claims that because of this accident, he is unable to return to work as a truck driver where he was making $55,000 a year.
Jury’s Award of $3M
- Past Medical Cost – $361,507
- Future Medical Cost $1,301,400
- Past Loss Of Services $220,000
- Future Loss Of Services $550,000
- Past Pain And Suffering $200,000
- Future Pain And Suffering $405,000
- TOTAL: $3,037,907.20
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.