Construction Worker Killed After Falling off Roof
A construction worker died in Beaufort, North Carolina on Monday after falling off the roof of a building.
Details About the Fatal Accident
Edward Turner fell off the roof of a building at the construction site where he was working and was transported to Carteret Health Care Center where he later died from his injuries. Beaufort Police Chief Paul Burdette Jr. said the North Carolina Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health has started an administrative investigation into the incident.
The Beaufort Police department also conducted an investigation and have determined that there were no signs of homicide and the death was just an accident.
Construction Accident Statistics
- According to data from the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), out of 4,251 worker fatalities in private industry in calendar year 2014, 874 or 20.5% were in construction―that is, one in five worker deaths last year were in construction.
- The leading causes of worker deaths on construction sites were falls, followed by electrocution, struck by object, and caught-in/between. These “Fatal Four” were responsible for more than half (58.1%) the construction worker deaths in 2014 BLS reports.
- Eliminating the Fatal Four would save 508 workers' lives in America every year.
- Falls — 349 out of 874 total deaths in construction in CY 2014 (39.9%)
- Electrocutions — 74 (8.5%)
- Struck by Object — 73 (8.4%)
- Caught-in/between — 12 (1.4%)