Construction Worker Killed in Accident at Oregon Site
About the Fatal Accident
According to Oregon police a construction worker became trapped under a pipe at a construction site NBC 24 reports.
A person that lives near the scene said that he was at his residence when he heard a loud scream. He went out to see a construction worker jump off of an excavator and run behind it. There, another construction worker was lying on the ground, according to the resident.
The man was confirmed dead after becoming trapped between a piece of equipment and pipeline.
Information About Construction On the Job Accidents
- According to data from the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), out of the 4,251 worker fatalities recorded in private industry in 2014, 874 or 20.5% were in construction.
- This means that one in every five worker deaths were in construction.
- The leading causes of worker deaths on construction sites were:
- Falls — 349 out of 874 total deaths in construction in CY 2014 (39.9%)
- Electrocutions — 74 (8.5%)
- Struck by Object — 73 (8.4%)
- Caught-in/between — 12 (1.4%)