Contaminated Steroid Shots Cause Medical Ailments
John Jernigan and colleagues looked at records of patients admitted to a hospital or emergency room before Nov. 19, 2012, in Florida, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Tennessee, and Virginia where the highest number of outbreaks occurred.
Infections From Steroid Shots
Information provided by MedPage Today:
- Patients made sick by contaminated steroid injections had a “broad spectrum of disease,” ranging from stroke to abscess.
- The outbreak included a total of 751 cases and 64 deaths in 20 states—including the six Jernigan studied—all linked to epidural, paraspinal, or joint injections of contaminated methylprednisolone acetate from a single compounding pharmacy.
- Excluding those with peripheral joint infections, 328 patients suffered ailments, including 265 who had a central nervous system (CNS) and 63 who had only non-CNS infections.
- 122 patients had more than one disease type; meningitis predominated, followed by epidural abscess, and arachnoiditis.
- A black mold, Exserohilum rostratum, was detected in only a minority—96 of 268 patients; this mold only rarely causes human disease.
- 26 patients in the study population died, including 22 from stroke, four with arachnoiditis, one with meningitis, and two with meningitis combined with an epidural abscess.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.