Corpus Christi Judge Moves Foster Care Class Action Lawsuit Forward
U.S. District Judge Janis Graham Jack, Corpus Christi, moved forward a class action suit on behalf of 12,000 plaintiffs claiming Texas provided foster children with subpar care and supervision..
Advocacy Group Alleges CPS not Properly Inspected
- According to the Dallas Morning News, the court ruled that the plaintiff, Children’s Rights, offered sufficient preliminary evidence that Child Protective Services caseworkers were not adequately reviewed by CPS licensing inspection authorities.
- This would be the second time that the court has advanced foster care class actions in two years.
- Although funding for CPS has increased over the past eight years, Scott McCown, a Clinical Professor at the University of Texas at Austin and Director of the Children’s Rights Clinic, states that foster reimbursement remains too low and foster licensing inspection remains too overworked in order to provide “compassionate” care.
Child Neglect and Brutality Overshadow Suit
- On July 31st, a two year old child, Alexandria Hill, died as a result of a brutal head-slamming by her foster mother, Sherril Small. Ms. Small was recruited by Texas Mentor, one of several contractors used by Texas Child Protective Services.
- In Arlington alone, 114 violations of conduct were found in 56 homes within a two year period.
- According to Children’s Rights, up to 80 percent of children in foster care have serious emotional problems.
- The Childrens Defense Fund reports that of the 69,169 children that are victims of abuse and neglect, 26,686 children or 38.5 percent of those children are under foster care.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
If you believe your child has suffered from physical or sexual abuse, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We have the knowledge and experience to handle your child’s case. We will also take immediate action to prevent any further mistreatment.
Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Your choice does matter. Contact our offices for immediate assistance. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57