Corpus Christi Officials to Take Action Against Hit and Run Drivers
The Caller-Times has reported on a news conference in which Corpus Christi officials unveiled new initiatives to curb Corpus Christi’s growing hit and run problem.
In the conference, Mayor Nelda Martinez, Police Chief Floyd Simpson, and Nueces County Distract Attorney Mark Skurka all spoke on how they planned to combat distracted driving and aggressive driving.
This comes shortly after a gathering by a group of runners and bicyclists in response to a string of hit and runs along Ocean Drive.
Operation Stop Aggressive Driving (SAD)
- Operation SAD was introduced by Chief Floyd Simpson.
- The operation involves setting unmarked cars in high traffic areas at least twice a week.
- The unmarked cars will target aggressive drivers, hitting them with fines of up to $500.
- While this is not a direct move against hit and run offenders, it will penalize drivers with a propensity to disregard others while driving.
New Distracted Driving Ordinance
- Mayor Nelda Martinez and Councilman Mark Scott plan to draft and present a new ordinance within the next 60 days that will combact distracted driving.
- The new ordinance will focus on limiting cell phone use while driving.
- Statistics show that distracted driving is 6 times more likely to cause and accident than drunk driving.
City Stands Together to Combat Aggressive and Distracted Drivers
- Nueces County Distract Attorney Mark Skurke stated he would begin to work with police and lawmakers to ensure stiffer penalties against aggressive drivers and hit and run offenders.
- He cited the recent case of Dahlton Osborn, a 19 year old who received 13 years Tuesday after fleeing from an accident in which he hit two pedestrians, killing one.
- Jeri Fletcher, girlfriend of recent hit and run victim Joshua Newton, spoke and was presented with a $1,500 check from Beach to Bay Organizer Doug McBee to aid Newton with his medical bills.
Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney
No one should have to suffer because of someone else's mistake or negligence. Whether your injury was caused by a drunk driver, reckless or negligent driving, or even intentional misconduct, our aggressive and persistent pressure on the driver will give us the information we need to win your case.
At Thomas J. Henry, we dedicate our time and knowledge to your needs. With over 20 years of experience, we have shown each of our clients that we are committed to getting results. Our attorneys are available 24/7 nights and weekends in order to be there when you need us. Choose an attorney who is aggressive, dedicated, and experienced. Contact Thomas J. Henry today. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million