CPSC Proposes New Rule for High Powered Magnets
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recently voted unanimously in favor of issuing new federal standards for small, high powered magnets, many of which are marketed as toys. When ingested by children, the magnets can cause considerable damage to internal organs and often require surgical removal.
The Dangers of High Powered Magnets
Information below provided by the CPSC.
- When two or more magnets are swallowed together, they can clamp together through internal organs, which can cause perforations and obstructions and lead to serious, even fatal health complications.
- There were 1,700 reported emergency room visits related to these magnets between 2009 and 2011.
- CPSC has received 22 reports of magnet incidents involving children between the ages of 18 months and 15 years old since June 2009.
CPSC Proposes New Rules for High Powered Magnets
- On August 27, 2012, the CPSC voted unanimously in favor of developing new standards for high powered magnet sets.
- The proposed rule involves implementing an industry-wide mandatory standard for high powered magnets.
- Under the proposed rule, magnet sets would be classified by their size and strength and high powered magnet sets could not be sold as desk toys.
- The proposed rule has a 75 day public comment period.
What to Do if Your Child Swallows Magnets
If you suspect that your child has swallowed one or more high powered magnets, the CPSC recommends the following:
- Seek emergency care immediately.
- If possible, let medical personnel know how many magnets were ingested.
- Be alert to abdominal symptoms such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Be aware that several magnets may appear as one single object in an X-ray.
Contact an Experienced Child Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.