A film crew member was killed and seven others were injured after a train accident on the set of the film Midnight Rider in Doctorstown, Georgia.
Details of the Fatal Train Accident
- According to reports, the crew was filming a dream sequence on the train tracks over a bridge and had laid a bed down on the tracks.
- They had knowledge of two scheduled trains arriving, but were surprised by the third.
- People only had about a minute to get to safety, in which one of the crew members, 27-year-old Sarah Jones, was killed.
- The debris from the bed injured seven others; one person was airlifted to a hospital to be treated.
- The director of film was almost killed as well, but was pulled to safety by another crew member.
- CSX Corporation (the owner of the train bridge) released a statement with their condolences for the family of the deceased and expressed their intent to comply with all investigations.
Train Accident Statistics
- The Federal Railroad Administration Office of Safety Analysis reports that there were 44 train accidents in Georgia, excluding train and highway crossings from January to November 2013.
- In the US, there were a total of 10,194 accidents/incidents during that time period.
- Out of those, 1,594 were accidents with seven resulting in fatalities.