Crib Bumpers Linked to Infant Deaths, Ban Recommended
About the Crib Bumper Study
According to the Claims Journal, in the Nov. 24 issue of The Journal of Pediatrics, a study was released by a professor of pediatrics at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis and two researchers with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) indicating that the majority of deaths in the cases studied were caused by the crib bumper. This defies the earlier logic that the deaths were linked to blankets or stuffed animals left in the crib.
23 deaths, over the course of seven years, were reported to the CSPC (between 2006 and through 2012) – roughly three times higher than the average eight deaths in the previous spans of the same time period.
Furthermore, the numbers are estimated to be much higher due to the lack of data on such injuries and deaths over the past few decades.
Statistics Cited in the Study
- In the research, Thach and his colleagues found that 32 of the 48 deaths examined were preventable should the crib bumpers have not been in the crib.
- The crib bumpers were found to not be preventative of injury as previously assumed, but in fact were a major cause of injury and deaths in infants.
- Most infant deaths were linked to suffocation when the baby’s nose and mouth ended up covered by the bumper.
- The other 16 deaths were attributed to other various bumper conflicts, such as an infant getting caught between the bumper and a pillow.
- An additional 32 deaths were linked to crib bumpers by National Center for the Review and Prevention of Child Deaths, bringing the total number to 77. Unreported estimates ranging much higher nationally.
- Chicago and Maryland banned the sale of crib bumpers in 2011 and 2013 respectively.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57