Crib Tents Linked to Child Brain Injury, Death
Five retailers have recalled Tots in Mind crib tents and play yard tents following the death of an infant in 2008 and a child brain injury that occurred in 2007. According to the CPSC, these tents put children at a higher risk of strangulation and entrapment hazards.
Crib Tents Cause Serious Injury to Children
Information below provided by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- So far, 27 tent failures have been reported. These reports range from January 1997 to April 2012.
- In 2007, a two year old boy suffered a “catastrophic brain injury” when the crib tent affixed to his crib tent inverted and the product’s broken rod trapped him at the neck.
- In 2008, a two year old boy died after becoming entrapped between the bottom rail of a play yard tent and the top rail of a play yard.
- CPSC has received 25 additional reports of entrapments between the tent and the crib/play yard or failures of the tent fabric and zippers.
- Three of these 25 reports also resulted in injuries; in one of the cases, a parent found her child turning blue and entrapped between the product and the top rail of the play yard.
Crib Tent Recall Facts
- About 330,000 Tots in Mind Inc. crib tents and play yard tents had been affected by the recall.
- Recall involves the following models by Tots in Mind: Portable Playard Tent, Original Cozy Crib Tent, Cozy Crib Tent II, Crib Tent for Convertible Cribs, and Portable Playard Tent Plus Cabana Kit.
- Crib tents were sold at Bed Bath & Beyond/Buy Buy Baby, Burlington Coat Factory, Toys R Us/Babies R Us, Walmart, and Amazon.com, for between $60 and $85.
Contact an Experienced Child Safety Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in both product liability litigation and child injury. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury due to a recalled product, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57