Devastating Fertilizer Plant Explosion in West, Texas
Details of the Fertilizer Plant Explosion
- At least 179 people have been hospitalized.
- 24 victims are in critical condition.
- 9 people are injured with severe burns.
- Waco Police estimate 5 to 15 fatalities.
- 3 to 5 firefighters have died as a result of the blast according to Waco’s Sgt. William Patrick Swanton.
Blast Believed to Have Begun in Ammonia Tank
- The blast was caused by a fireball almost 30 meters high and is thought to have begun in an ammonia tank before spreading throughout the plant.
- The dangerous ammonia is still a concern for local residents and firefighters at the scene.
- According the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, anhydrous ammonia is a pungent gas with suffocating fumes that is used as a fertilizer.
Explosion Registered as 2.1 Magnitude Quake
- According to reports, the US Geological Survey registered the explosion as a 2.1 magnitude quake.
- The Mayor of West, Tommy Muska, said perhaps 60 homes have been damaged.
- All of downtown West has been evacuated including schools and nursing homes.
- Officials are still considering broadening the evacuation.
Obama, FEMA and ATF Monitoring and Investigating the Blast
President Obama has been notified of the blast in Texas and will be monitoring the situation through FEMA, who is also in contact with local officials. Additionally, the ATF has been called in and investigations are underway. The whole area is being considered a crime scene although no malicious intent has yet been found.
Contact an Experienced Industrial Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry has been representing victims of industrial accidents for more than 20 years. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts, settlement, and judgments for clients injured in workplace accidents and industrial disasters. If you or someone you love was injured in the West Fertilizer Co. explosion, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately, day or night, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57