Disabled Man Found Unconscious in Filthy Assisted-Living Home
An ambulance crew entered an assisted-living home in Chisholm, Minnesota and found a disabled man unconscious and surrounded by filth. According to The Star Tribune, the man also suffered from diabetes and passed out in his recliner due to severely low blood sugar and a urinary track infection. Workers on the scene said the man was barely alive.
Home Was Found Severly Neglected
This home was a part of the Hillcrest Terrace at Chisholm facility and was described as:
- Contaminated with black mold
- Smelling of urine
- Possessing dirty ripped furniture
- Having no linens on the bed
- Containing old food which was spread around
The Minnesota Department of Health is set to release a report due out Friday finding the man a victim of neglect by the Hillcrest staff for failing to inform a nurse about the man’s inhumane condition and ability to “maintain a livable environment”.
The St. Louis County attorney’s office has taken the case and is investigating possible criminal charges of neglect.
State Officials Angry Over Findings
“I’m appalled at the conditions there and will look at who was supposed to be monitoring his care. I will have someone visit that particular facility immediately.” – Roberta Opheim, Minnesota ombudsman for mental health and developmental disabilities
About Hillcrest Terrace at Chisholm
- The assisted-living home is owned by Range Development Co., which owns 14 assisted-living and Alzheimer care facilities in Minnesota.
- Currently two developmentally disabled people live at Hillcres.
- An additional 12 to 15 people with mental health problems live at Hillcrest.
- The home was previously investigated in 2011 and received a citation for not treating an injured man with a broken arm for over a month causing lasting bone damage.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact our offices immediately – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.