Drowned Dallas Teenager’s Family Awarded $982,000
A Dallas apartment complex was held 55 percent liable for a teenager's drowning after it was determined that their pool was in violation of city regulations and was so murky it delayed rescue attempts.
About the Dallas Premises Liability Trial
- The teenager was swimming at his girlfriend’s apartment complex when he went into the deep end and drowned.
- The plaintiffs alleged the water was too murky to determine depth and the pool did not have a float rope.
- The plaintiffs also alleged the murky conditions of the pool delayed rescue efforts further contributing to the teenager's death.
- The pool did not have pool maintenance logs, an operations manager, or an emergency phone, which are all required by Dallas city ordinance.
Testimonies from the Premises Liability Trial
- The complex’s maintenance worker testified he had only found the boy when he brushed up against him by chance.
- He further claimed that he was offered $1,000 by the complex to testify that the pool and gate to the pool were closed at the time of the accident. He instead testified that there was no lock on the gate to begin with.
- The defendant’s pool safety expert acknowledge in his testimony that the pool should not have been open.
The Verdict of the Premises Liability Trial
The jury decided that the apartment complex was 55 percent at fault for the teenager’s death as the pool was not properly maintained and created a hazardous area.
Contact an Experienced Premises Liability Attorney
Because of careless property owners, many people will suffer catastrophic injuries such as brain injuries or spinal cord injuries. The nature of many injuries which occur on dangerous property can be more than painful- they can be permanent.
Do not let your injuries overwhelm your life. If you have been seriously injured as a result of a condition or the use of real property, contact Thomas J. Henry. As your premises liability lawyer, we will secure proper medical care and fight to make sure you receive proper compensation. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends and we represent clients/victims all over the country.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57