Drug Research Lacking for Autistic Teens
Autism Spectrum Disorders
Autism spectrum disorders impair children’s social development and communication, sometimes leading to aggression, irritability and outbursts. Autism can cause self-abusive and repetitive movements, according to U.S. News and World Report. While some children improve with age, most do not, and no cure for autism has been discovered.
Growing Up with Autism
- About 1 in 88 children are diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder today.
- Medications can treat some of the symptoms and behaviors associated with autism, but do not cure the main symptoms of the disorder.
- Educational and behavioral treatments exist, but like autism drugs, research for teens and young adults is lacking.
Autism medications like risperidone and aripiprazole are used to treat aggression and agitation, but do not address repetitive behaviors and other social disorders. While there is evidence that medications work for some of these disorders, they do not address the cause of autism, and require more research. In reviewing clinical trials from 1980 to 2011, researchers found only 8 studies conducted on children with autism ages 13 to 30, according to U.S. News and World Report.
What Parents Can Do
Information provided by U.S. News and World Report:
- Behavioral and educational interventions can be used to treat autism, though more study is needed in older children.
- Parents should contact clinicians to become informed of the risks and benefits of autism spectrum disorder drugs.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact our offices immediately – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.