DSS Records Show Day Care Cited Since Child Choking Fatality
About the Department of Social Services Investigation
According to the Department of Social Services (DSS), Creative Kids Child Development Center in Greenville, South Carolina, has had three more incidents since the death of a child last month at their facility.
20 month old Sydney Ryan Alongio choked to death this past 11th of May. On the day Sydney died, the DSS Website recorded three other deficiencies-violations noted by an inspector which involved one improper supervision and two feeding deficiencies. DSS responded to these deficiencies by placing them under a stringent corrective action plan, involving a Health and Nutrition Consultant.
The DSS website recorded six different deficiencies since January 2015. The deficiencies include two for mopping the floor with chemicals while the children were asleep and the rest for mislabeling bottles.
WYFF4 News recommends parents to learn about a day care facility’s background and rating through http://scchildcare.org/.
Day Care Injury Statistics
According to Childcare Aware of America
- There are nearly 11 million children in child care programs in the United States.
- 20% of SID deaths occur in child care settings.
- 2003 is the last year a study of child fatalities in child care was published.
- As of 2014, there is still no federal reporting requirement for child fatalities in child care in the United States.
- In only 38 states, child care licensing agencies require child fatalities in licensed child care settings be reported to a licensing agency.
- Twelve states do not require any report of children’s deaths in child care centers, while 11 states do not require the reporting of children’s deaths in family child care homes.