Oil Boom Increases Traffic Accidents
Serious commercial truck accidents are occurring at least once a week now in McMullen County since the Eagle Ford Shale energy boom, a local resident told mysanantonio.com. Prior to the oil boom, it was common to hear about fatal car crashes about once a year.
One of the most recent accidents involved a 26-year-old truck driver who was killed in a tanker accident in McMullen County, roughly 60 miles south of San Antonio.
About the Tanker Accident in McMullen County, TX
- Tanker truck driver, Jorge Luis Rios, was killed in the accident.
- The cause was a second tanker truck failing to yield the right of way and slamming into him.
- The accident occurred on Texas 16 near FM 624, according to the Texas Department of Public Safety.
Eagle Ford Shale Boom Brings Increase in Fatal Accidents
- McMullen County is not the first county to have been swamped with traffic from the Eagle Ford Shale energy boom. However, it has seen one of the largest counts in commercial automobile wrecks.
- According to the crash data collected by the Texas Department of Transportation, accidents have gone up from four crashes in 2008 to 46 crashes in 2011.
- County and state officials are doing everything they can to make the roads safer again, but with companies and workers flooding to the Eagle Ford Shale, roads are more occupied than ever before.
Truck Drivers Contributing to Crashes
Last month, a tractor-trailer veered across the center line of Texas 72 near Tilden and hit two oncoming trucks, killing two men. This accident and many others that happened recently are due to truck drivers ignoring signs in construction zones and having defective headlights, according to the TxDOT data.
Local residents have complained that commutes to and from this area have doubled due to the build-up in traffic. While the economic boom is great for the community, residents said they are still learning how to deal with the increase in population and the increase in traffic.
Contact an Experienced Trucking Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry have handled a multitude of 18-wheeler accidents over the past two decades and continue to handle many of the largest 18-wheeler accident cases throughout the United States. Whether the company is small or large, our success is not an accident; it is because we understand how trucking companies operate.
Thomas J. Henry are available to respond to trucking accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million