Contact us 24/7
View all

Elementary School Evacuated after Carbon Monoxide Scare

Katie Chapman3 years ago

According reports, a Springfield Elementary School choir class fell ill Thursday due to possible Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

30 Students Hospitalized Due to Possible Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

School officials are still trying to determine what led to the hospitalization of 30 children who suddenly fell ill during their choir class last Thursday, but early indications seem to point to carbon monoxide poisoning.

One mother took her son, Cole, to the Mayo Clinic Health System Hospital where lab tests revealed higher than normal levels of carbon monoxide in his blood. He was kept on an IV and given oxygen during his stay before being released.

However, a local fire chief reported that there was no carbon monoxide found in the school. Additional tests are being conducted.

While all of the students have since been released from the hospital, some parents are refusing to send their children back to the school until the cause of the incident has been determined.

Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Early indications of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea

As carbon monoxide builds up in the blood stream, the symptoms may begin to worsen and new symptoms may begin to arise, including:

  • Confusion and drowsiness
  • Fast breathing, fast heartbeat or chest pain
  • Vision problems
  • Seizures

Carbon monoxide poisoning can occur suddenly or over a long period of time. Heart problems and brain damage can occur even when breathing in low levels of carbon monoxide.

If you are exposed to carbon monoxide, leave the area as breathing in fumes can lead to death.


If you’ve been injured, we can help. Contact us