Family Awarded $80 Million after Woman’s Sand Suffocation Death
The family of a New Mexico woman who suffocated after being buried in sand during a trucking accident has been awarded $80 million following a judge’s decision Monday.
About the New Mexico Trucking Accident
- The lawsuit marked the end of a decade long legal battle linked back to a 2002 trucking accident that left Laura Meira, 48, dead.
- According to the Monroe News, Meira’s vehicle was struck by a tractor-trailer while she was waiting at a traffic light, shortly after dropping of her 14-year-old daughter at school.
- The collision with the Albuquerque Redi-Mix truck forced Meira’s car to the curb where it rolled. Miera was trapped as sand from the semi began to pour on top of her.
- Parents and students rushed to Meira’s aid, digging frantically with their bare hands while a counselor attempted to counsel the ensnared driver, holding her hand and praying with her as the sand began to rise.
- The sand soon rose above Meira’s head, causing her to suffocate.
Judgment Reached in Albuquerque Lawsuit
Meira’s family filed a lawsuit against Albuquerque Redi-Mix, Quintana Enterprises Inc., the companies’ owners, John and Barbara Quintana, and the truck driver Truman Bahe.
According to the lawsuit, the truck had an expired registration, three brakes out of adjustment and the driver had been charged with driving while intoxicated twice before being hired by the company.
The Quintanas denied responsibilities, claiming the accident and the resulting injuries were caused by actions committed by others.
The judge found in favor of Meira’s family, awarding them $80 million for her death. The judgment includes $60 million in punitive damages issued to husband Jose Meira and her daughter Cassandra Miera Camp.
Contact an Experienced Trucking Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry have handled a multitude of 18-wheeler accidents over the past two decades and continue to handle many of the largest 18-wheeler accident cases throughout the United States. Whether the company is small or large, our success is not an accident; it is because we understand how trucking companies operate. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
Thomas J. Henry are available to respond to trucking accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million