Family of Deceased New Jersey Worker Receives $1.43 Million
According to the Asbury Park Press, the family of a New Jersey worker who was the victim of a hit and run accident has received a settlement for $1.43 million for his death.
Details on the New Jersey Hit and Run Accident
- Burrell Oughton was standing by a water truck in a work zone when he was struck by a driver who then fled the scene.
- Mr. Oughton died a few weeks later from his injuries.
- The driver pleaded guilty to leaving the scene and is currently serving a 7 year prison sentence.
Employer Pays $1.43 Million for Worker’s Death
- The family of Mr. Oughton filed a lawsuit against the driver as well as Mr. Oughton’s employer, Midatlantic Construction Inc.
- The lawsuit claimed that Midatlantic Construction Inc. failed to properly set up a lane closure as required and described by both company policy and state regulation.
- The family also alleged that Midatlantic Construction Inc. failed to place a truck before the worksite designed to protect workers from traffic.
- The company settled with the Oughton family agreeing to pay the sum of $1.43 million in connection to his Mr. Oughton’s death.
Contact an Experienced Workplace Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry fight to protect the rights of workplace injury victims. If you or someone you love has been injured or killed on the job, contact Thomas J. Henry. The goal of our offices is to not only protect your rights, but to send a message so the same tragedy does not happen again. We represent clients/victims all over the country.