Family Sues in Nursing Home Burn Death
Man Dies in Nursing Home from Burns after Lighter Catches Fire
- According to CBS Chicago, Michael Lewis’ body was engulfed in flames as the result of his lighter catching on fire during his stay at the Lake Shore HealthCare and Rehabilitation Centre in Chicago, Illinois.
- Lewis first wheeled himself outdoors where other residents were unable to put out the flames, then wheeled himself back into the facility after which a caretaker franticly sprays the man with a fire extinguisher before wheeling him back outside, leaving him alone.
- Video footage obtained from a security camera shows that no one attempts to perform CPR until EMS members arrive by which time the man was already dead.
Family Sues in Nursing Home for Death
- According to Dr. Stanley Zydio, an expert in emergency response, no blankets or damp sheets were used to cover Lewis immediately after the fire, the airway was not checked, and there was no one available to give him a medical evaluation.
- Members of Lewis’ family are filing suit after the Lakeshore HealthCare and Rehabilitation Centre was cited by the City of Chicago for failure to train staff in emergency procedures.
- Lakeshore HealthCare and Rehabilitation Centre has not relesed a statement claiming privacy laws restrict them from speaking on the accident.
Contact an Experienced Nursing Home Neglect Attorney
If you believe your loved one has experienced an injury due to nursing home neglect, contact Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys immediately. We have the knowledge and experience to handle your loved one’s case. We will also take immediate action to prevent any further mistreatment. Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.