FDA Issues Warning on Brazilian Blowout
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued an official warning letter to the makers of the hair straightening products company “Brazilian Blowout” over issues of adulteration and misbranding. According to the letter, despite the fact that the label declares the product to be “Formaldehyde Free,” it contains dangerously high levels of methylene glycol (liquid formaldehyde).
Brazilian Blowout Injuries
According to the FDA, “formaldehyde is a highly reactive chemical that readily reacts with biological tissues, particularly the mucous tissues lining the respiratory tract and the eyes.” The following injuries have been reported in association with Brazilian Blowout:
- eye disorders (irritation, increased lacrimation, blurred vision, hyperaemia)
- nervous system disorders (headache, burning sensation, dizziness, syncope)
- respiratory tract problems (dyspnea, cough, nasal discomfort, epistaxis, wheezing, rhinorrhea, throat irritation, nasopharyngitis)
- nausea hypotrichosis
- chest pain/discomfort
Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act Violations
- Adulterated: Brazilian Blowout is an adulterated cosmetic because it bears or contains a deleterious substance (liquid formaldehyde) that may render it injurious to users under the conditions of use prescribed in the labeling.
- Misbranded: Brazilian Blowout contains the liquid form of formaldehyde, methylene glycol; but the product label declares that the product contains “No Formaldehyde” or is “Formaldehyde Free.”
- The company has until September 12, 2011 to correct the violations; otherwise the products could be taken off the shelves.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/or defective pharmaceuticals.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of any defective drugs and/or products, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.