FDA Sets Out to Ban Trans Fats
Trans fats have been slowly disappearing from the food industry over the past decade after accruing a bad reputation for their damaging effects on the heart. The Food and Drug Administration could be ending that battle once and for all.
What Are Trans Fats?
- Trans fats are a man-made substance that result when hydrogen is added to liquid vegetable oil to make it more solid, which is why they are often referred to as ‘partially hydrogenated oils’
- Trans fats are widely considered the worst kind of fat, and have been linked to heart disease, the number one cause of death in the U.S.
- Trans fats are used in processed foods and restaurants to improve texture and flavor of food, and to extend the shelf life.
- Scientists say that trans fats have no health benefits; rather they can raise the LDL (“bad”) cholesterol.
- Trans fats are still found in microwave popcorn, frozen pizzas, refrigerated doughs, ready-to-use frostings and other processed foods.
FDA's Efforts to Ban Trans Fats
- Accordng to FOX News, the FDA will require the food industry to gradually phase out all trans fats, believing them to be a threat to people’s health.
- Though the agency has not finalized a phase-put timeline, it anticipates it should only take 6-12 months, as food companies and restaurants have been on alert of the dangers of trans fats for a decade now.
- Since 2003 the average consumption of trans fats have cut down to less than a quarter of the amount (4.6 grams to 1 gram) as many restaurants and food companies have taken them out of their foods.
- But the FDA projects that up to 20,000 heart attacks could be prevented per year after the total ban of trans fats, and up to 7,000 lives could be saved.
- The FDA has already taken trans fats out of the “generally safe to consume” category, where thousands of other food additives still remain.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of recalled foods or supplements, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.