FDA Shuts Down 1,677 Illegal Online Pharmacies
According to CNN, the FDA is responsible for shutting down 1,677 illegal online pharmacies in June; however; officials warn that many consumer are still at risk.
Consumers using large market medications for diseases like diabetes are most likely to be targeted by the sites.
About the Online Pharmacy Investigations and Shutdowns
- The shutdowns were part of an operation, Pangea IV, in which the FDA worked with other agencies including Interpol to combat the growing number of illegal online pharmacies.
- The crackdown resulted in the arrests of 58 people and the seizure of more than $41 million worth of illegal medications.
- The sites were accused of selling counterfeit medication, substandard medication, and drugs without appropriate safe gaurds.
The Growing Danger of Online Pharmacies
“These products can have none of the active ingredient that people need for the treatment of their disease. They can have too much or too little (of the ingredient); they can have toxic ingredients, and they can prevent patients from getting the actual medication that they badly need.” – Margaret Hamburg, FDA Commissioner to CNN.
- Drugs sold by these pharmacies contain too much or too little of the necessary ingredient resulting in overmedication or undermedication, or may lack the necessary active ingredient completely.
- The FDA warns that these online pharmaceuticals use recognizable name substitution like Walgreens-store.com in place of Walgreens.com.
- The sites advertise popular drugs like Viagra, Levitra, and the popular diabetes drug Avandaryl.
- Of 10,000 websites investigated by the National Association of Board of Pharmacy (NABP):
- 97 percent did not comply with state or federal regulations.
- 88 percent did not require a prescription.
- About half sold medications not approved by the FDA
- According to LegitScript (an internet pharmacy verification tool) there are currently more than 34,000 active illegal internet pharmacies.
- The NABP suggest that illegal online pharmaceuticals sales is likely a multi-billion dollar industry.
- For a list of safe online pharmacies click here.
Illegal Pharmacies Tied To Recent FDA Diabetes Warnings
- Illegal online pharmacies were a major focus in a release by the FDA warning against alternative diabetes treatments.
- According to IMS Health, the U.S. market for prescription diabetes medication is the largest in the world with approximately 26 million Americans diagnosed with diabetes, making it a lucrative target for illegal pharmacies.
- Sales of diabetes medications have more than doubled since 2008.
- Failure to receive proper medication for diabetes can result in kidney failure and heart disease which could lead to death.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective drugs and/or products.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of illegal medication or supplements, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT CLINICAL DRUG TRIAL RESULT
$7.2 MillionExpenses: $24,838.25 | Attorneys Fees: $2,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $3,275,161.75 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT CLINICAL DRUG TRIAL RESULT
$4 MillionExpenses: $24,856.98 | Attorneys Fees: $1,600,000.00 | Net to Client: $2,375,143.02