FDA Warns Future Mothers About Use of Magnesium Sulfate Injections
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has reported that the use of magnesium sulfate injections to stop preterm labor may lead to low calcium levels and bone problems in developing fetuses. As such, magnesium sulfate has been listed as a Category D drug on the FDA’s Pregnancy Categories.
What Is Magnesium Sulfate
- By blocking neuromuscular transmissions, magnesium can effectively stop or control contractions.
- Magnesium sulfate is administered to prevent tocolysis (premature labor) during pregnancy.
- Magnesium sulfate injections are often used when labor needs to be delayed by 24 to 48 hours.
Dangers of Magnesium Sulfate to Newborns
“Magnesium sulfate injection should only be used during pregnancy if clearly needed. If the drug is used during pregnancy, the health care professional should inform the patient of potential harm to the fetus.” –
Provided by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- The average in utero exposure is 9.6 weeks.
- Estimated total dose administered is 3,700 grams.
- FDA warns against any use longer than 5-7 days, but claims they have not identified the shortest duration at which the drug becomes dangerous
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57