FDA Warns of Life-Threatening Diarrhea Drug
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a safety alert on a drug, intestinomicina, marketed to treat infectious diarrhea.
About the Diarrhea Drug
- Intestinomicina is manufactured in El Salvador, and is marketed for the treatment of infectious diarrhea and acute gastrointestinal infections.
- It can be found in tablet and liquid forms.
- It is manufactured by Laboratorios Lopez.
- It has been found in international grocery stores in the United States that feature South and Central American specialty foods and products.
Potentially Life-Threatening Side Effects
Intestinomicina contains “chloramphenicol,” a prescription drug ingredient otherwise known in Spanish as “chloramfenicol palmitato.” Chloramfenicol was recalled by the FDA in July of 2012 for its risk of life-threatening injuries, which include:
Bone marrow toxicity – This occurs when the body does not produce enough red blood cells, white blood cells, and/or platelets.
- Certain types of bone marrow toxicity are reversible; however, in rare circumstances it can lead to death.
- Patients with anemia, low white or red blood cell count, or decreased blood platelets may be at a greater risk of death or serious injury.
- Some antibacterial ingredients in the product, Neomycin and sulfa drugs, have the potential to cause a variety of adverse reactions, ranging from rashes and hives, to severe and life-threatening reactions.
- Intestinomicina may also interact with other medications that consumers may be taking.
Contact an Experienced Drug Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of recalled medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.