FedEx and Bridgestone Settle Wyoming Collision Lawsuits from 2014
Lawsuits against FedEx Ground Package Systems Inc. and Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations related to a fatal collision on Interstate 80 has been settled in court.
Overview of the Lawsuit
In November of 2014, James Ednie, Tanya Gooden, and Gooden’s son Cameron were killed by a FedEx tractor trailer after being hit nearly head-on in their Dodge Caravan. An investigation revealed the westbound tractor-trailer’s left front tire failed, leaving the vehicle out of control of driver Brian D. Kehler. Gooden’s daughter, Alodie Gooden, and Ednie’s sister, Gina Cubillos, filed wrongful death lawsuits in the U.S. District Court of Wyoming less than a month apart after the fatal accident. Both lawsuits said the front driver’s side tire of the FedEx tractor failed, causing the tractor and its two trailers to strike Ednie’s van. Both wrongful death representatives were seeking damages “substantially in excess of $75,000,” to be determined at trial, according to their complaints. The actual settlement amounts are confidential.
Kehler, who was driving the tractor-trailer at the time of the collision, also filed a lawsuit in connection with the incident. Kehler filed a complaint stating Commercial Tire sold two allegedly faulty Bridgestone tires to FedEx and installed them in August 2014. The lawsuit says Bridgestone’s tire “was in a defective, dangerous condition at the time of its sale” and was “unreasonably dangerous” to Kehler, who was injured in the collision. The case remains active and currently is set to go to trial in March 2017.
Tractor Trailer Accident Statistics
- A trucking accident occurs when large trailers (10,000+ lbs.) collide with other vehicles or pedestrians.
- Around 500,000 trucking accidents occur every year in the United States. Of these, approximately 5,000 trucking accidents result in fatalities.
- In 2012, there were 3,921 people killed and 104,000 people injured in crashes
- involving large trucks
- One out of every eight traffic fatalities involves a trucking collision.
- In tractor trailer accidents, 98% of fatalities occur to the individuals in the passenger vehicles.
- Trucking revenues totaled $610 billion last year and revenues are estimated to nearly double by 2015.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million