Fire Safety for the Home
Household fires cause thousands of injuries and deaths every year in the United States. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) – taking certain preventative measures can help save your home, and maybe even your life.
Fire Safety Statistics
According to CPSC statistics from 2006 through 2008, each year there were an average of 386,000 unintentional residential fires which caused 2,400 deaths and 12,500 injuries.
- Two-thirds of fire deaths occurred in homes with no smoke alarms or smoke alarms that did not work.
- A majority of fires (150,000) occurred while cooking. These fires resulted in an average of 150 deaths each year from 2006-2008.
- Heating and cooling equipment accounted for the second-largest percentage of home fires – causing 57,000 fires and 220 deaths from 2006-2008.
- A majority of heating/cooling equipment fires were caused by fireplaces and chimneys (nearly 27,000 annually).
- From 2006-2008, smoking materials caused an average of 600 deaths each year and electrical components caused about 150.
Fire Safety Tips
Information below from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC).
- A smoke alarm should be installed on every level of the home, outside the sleeping area and inside.
- Make sure members of your family know how to escape when the smoke alarm sounds.
- Develop and practice a family escape plan.
- Have two ways for escaping each room and designate a meeting place outside.
- Have fireplace flues and chimneys inspected for leakage and blockages every year.
- Dispose of ashes carefully, keeping them away from dry leaves, trash or combustible materials.
- Don’t allow children to play with candles, lighters, or smoking materials.
- Don’t smoke in bed.
- Do not use gel fuel for firepots.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, trucking accidents, maritime accidents, and other catastrophic accidents.