Fireworks Explosion in Comanche Leaves One Dead, Four Injured
About the Comanche Fireworks Explosion
Authorities say the explosion occurred at about 9 a.m. on Thursday morning while Kiwanis club members were setting up for tomorrow’s Fourth of July celebrations. A trailer containing fireworks exploded, causing one death and multiple people with burn injuries.
According to police, the severity of the injuries range from first to third degree burns. One of the victims was transferred to a burn unit for treatment.
Authorities do not know what sparked the initial explosion. The Texas fire marshal’s office as well as the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives will investigate the fatal fireworks accident.
Firework Safety Tips
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission provides the following safety precautions for dealing with fireworks:
- Young children should never be allowed to play with or light fireworks.
- Fireworks packaged in brown paper are typically for professional displays and can be dangerous for consumers.
- Adults should always supervise children when using sparklers. These items can burn at a very high temperature and cause injury.
- Do not try to re-light or pick up a firework that did not fully ignite.
- Never point a firework at another person or animal.
- When using fireworks, keep a hose or bucket of water nearby in case something accidently catches on fire.