Football Helmets Track Concussion Impacts
Helmets Use Accelerometer to Track Hits
“Our hope is that this will kind of be the first step, but eventually we’ll be able to kind of track the changes that happen from freshman year of high school all the way through senior year of college.” – Eric Nauman as published by Fox News
- According to Fox News, Dr. Eric Nauman, Professor of Mechanical Engineering at Purdue University in Indiana, has developed football helmets with accelerometers used to measure and track impacts in real time.
- The goal is to collect data on the number and severity of impacts a player experiences during their athletic career.
- The concussion data is measured along with MRI brain scans to review the damage of different impacts upon players heads.
- The Purdue Neurotrauma Group reports that 10 percent of high school athletes receive concussions and 50 percent of players show severe changes in neurophysiology.
- Additionally, a study by G.W. Roberts, D. Allsop, and C. Bruton in 1990 reported that in cases of repetitive concussion, at least 17 percent of individuals develop CTE.
Analysis Could Decrease Rates of Head Trauma Among Players
- Chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) is a progressive disease found in athletes with a history of repetitive brain trauma.
- According to the Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy at Boston University, CTE is associated with memory loss, confusion, impaired judgment, impulse control problems, aggression, depression as well as dementia.
- Sensors are also being attached to necks of Purdue players, which will hopefully lead to results that will increase safety for younger players.
Contact an Experienced Child Sports Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we have the experience and resources to handle your child’s case. If your child has been the victim of a serious sports injury, contact our offices. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57