Generic Wellbutrin Removed from Market
Teva is removing its generic version of the antidepressant Wellbutrin, called Budeprion XL 300, after the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found that the drug did not work properly.
Problems with Budeprion XL
(According to NBC News)
- After hundreds of patients complained that the drug was not as strong as the original and caused side effects, the FDA conducted tests to check.
- The results were that the drug releases its key ingredient faster than the original.
- Because of these conclusions, the FDA has recalled Budeprion XL.
Some side effects of the 300-mg Budeprion XL include:
How Generic Drugs Work
Original drugs and their copycat versions are supposed to be equivalent, according to the FDA. However, some drugs are not as strong as their originals, or give off side effects that their originals do not.
According to a Bloomberg news report, this recall reveals that generics are not identical to name brands. Generics are supposed to be pharmacologically equivalent, but that is not the same as being identical.
How Budeprion XL and Wellbutrin Work
(According to MedTV)
- Budeprion XL is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of depression and the prevention of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).
- It is a dopamine and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor.
- Norepinephrine and dopamine are two of several chemicals used to send messages from one nerve cell to another.
- When the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine are unbalanced, depression and other problems can occur.
Contact an Experienced Drug Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of recalled medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.