Girl Dies After Fall from Rope Swing
Fall from Rope Swing Causes Death
On July 14, Olivia Grimes of Florida died from falling off of a rope swing at Carolina Point- Young Life Camp in Brevard, North Carolina.
She was attached to pendulum rope swing when she became unhooked and fell roughly 120 feet. She was pronounce dead on the scene. Grimes is the daughter of the pastor of Oasis Community Church in Lakeland, Florida. Carolina Point- Young Life Camp is one of 28 Young Life Camps nationwide.
The spokeswomen for Young Life headquarters says that all ropes courses at all of the camps have been closed for the time being and that all swing courses have strict protocols. However, the S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation said that the swing had not been inspected and does not seem to fit the requirements for an amusement ride.
Zip Line and Rope Swing Safety Tips
- Riders should wear appropriate safety gear.
- Provide riders with proper instruction.
- Instructors should be fully knowledgeable.
- Everything should be fully inspected and confirmed to be safe.
- Zip lines should not be used in bad weather.