Graco Car Seat Recall Investigated by Feds
About the Graco Car Seat Recall Investigation
The federal government is to investigate whether the child product company, Graco, delayed a safety recall that involved more than six million faulty child car seats.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) claims to have been pressuring Graco to explore the thousands of customer complaints about a harness buckle defect for months before the company issued an appropriate recall. In January, NHTSA notified Graco to request the issuance of a car seat recall due to over six thousand complaints of the chair’s safety buckle becoming stuck.
Graco attributed the seatbelt defects to sticky liquids and foods that may have dripped inside the buckle to cause the harness to stick.
Eventually, the company issued a recall for almost 4 million car seats due to customer complaints of the car seat defect. After expanding the recall twice, Graco finally issued the biggest child seat recall in national history of over 6 million car seats.
The NHTSA will be investigating the timeliness of the recall because of Graco’s prior resistance and response to customer complaints of a safety defect. No injuries have been reported concerning the car seat recall.
Graco’s Response to Recall Investigation
- Graco maintains that they will continue to cooperate with the NHTSA throughout the car seat recall investigation.
- Graco is reassuring consumers that the car seats will be safe for their children despite the safety buckle defect. The company addresses safety concerns here.
- The company is investigating the issue to make changes to their product and assure their customer’s safety.
Models Affected by Recall
- Toddler car seats: Step 2, Cozy Cline, Ready Ride, Comfort Sport, Classic Ride 50, My Ride 65, My Ride 70, My Ride 65 with Safety Surround, Size4Me 70, My Size 70, Head Wise 70 with Safety Surround, Smart Seat, Smart Seat with Safety Surround, Nautilus 3-in-1, Nautilus Plus, Nautilus Elite, Argos 70, and Argos 70 Elite
- Infant car seats: SnugRide, SnugRide Classic Connect, SnugRide 30, SnugRide Classic Connect 30, SnugRide 35, SnugRide Classic Connect 35, SnugRide Click Connect 40, and Aprica A30
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57