GSK To Pay $3 Billion for Healthcare Fraud
In the largest healthcare fraud settlement in U.S. history, GlaxoSmithKline (GSK) will pay $3 billion to the states and the Federal Government.
GSK is paying $3 billion to resolve criminal and civil allegations arising from its unlawful marketing of certain drugs. GSK has been allegedly marketing certain drugs for uses not approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
GSK’s Fraudulent Marketing
According to the states and the Federal Government, since 1998, GSK has been engaged in a series of misleading and dangerous marketing practices. The Assistant Attorney General of Vermont reported that GSK has allegedly marketed the following off-label uses:
- Paxil for use by children and adolescents;
- Advair for first-line use for asthma;
- Wellbutrin for sexual dysfunction, weight loss, and higher-than-approved dosages;
- The seizure medication Lamictal for bipolar depression, neuropathic pain, and other psychiatric conditions;
- The drug Zofran for pregnancy-related nausea.
Illegal Activities by GSK
Not only has GSK unlawfully marketed particular drugs for off-label uses, but GSK has also engaged in the following illegal activities, according to attorney general reports:
- Offering kickbacks to encourage healthcare officials to prescribe Paxil, Wellbutrin, Advair, Lamictan, Zofran, Imitrex, Lotronex, Flovent, and Valtrex.
- Making false representations regarding Paxil, Wellbutrin, Advair, Lamictal, Zofran, and Avandia;
- Underpaying rebates owed to Medicaid and other federal healthcare programs;
- Introducing drugs into interstate commerce without proper labeling;
- Not reporting clinical data about Avandia to the FDA.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or pharmaceuticals, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.