Gym Accident Victim Receives $900K
A Los Angeles, California man has been awarded a $900,000 jury verdict for injuries sustained when a trainer at a local gym dropped a 145-pound barbell on his face. The plaintiff sued the trainer and the gym, contending that the gym was grossly negligent in educating the trainer of proper safety techniques.
Trainer Drops Barbell on Man’s Face
- In January 2010, the plaintiff was working out with a trainer at a local gym of which he was a member. During the session, the trainer dropped at 145lb. barbell on his face.
- The plaintiff suffered cheek bone and nasal fractures that resulted in nerve damage and the loss of feeling in part of his face.
- The plaintiff’s injuries required emergency plastic surgery.
- The plaintiff had signed a liability waiver but contended that the gross negligence of the gym was outside the scope of the release.
- The plaintiff contended that the personal trainer was not properly educated in the handling of gym equipment in a way that is standard in the industry and that if the personal trainer had been properly educated it would have prevented his injury.
Plaintiff Awarded Nearly $900K
- The jury awarded the plaintiff $892,650 in damages
- $142,450 were for special damages
- $750,000 were for general damages
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.