Hospital Denies Negligence after Throwing Away Donor Kidney
According to ABC News, the University of Toledo Medical Center (UTMC) acknowledges its nurse threw out a kidney that a teen donated to his sister, but has still asked an Ohio state court to dismiss the case.
Nurse Throws Away Donor Kidney
- Last August, Sara Fudacz, 24, was suffering from end-state renal failure when her teenage brother, Paul Jr., donated his kidney for transplant.
- A nurse accidently disposed of the kidney, which was being kept in a protective slush.
- Hospital staff attempted to resuscitate the kidney, but the kidney was rendered unusable as a result of the nurse’s actions.
- In the months that followed, Sarah went through dialysis and four surgeries before UTMC arranged for an organ transplant in Denver.
- The part-time nurse who threw away the kidney resigned, and the hospital fired another nurse who had relieved the part-time nurse while she took a break.
Hospital Asks for Lawsuit to be Dismissed
- As a result of the nurse throwing away the kidney, the family of Sara Fudacz has filed a lawsuit against the University of Toledo Medical Center.
- The lawsuit alleges that the medical center was negligent in its actions and caused damages of pain and suffering as Paul has now lost a kidney and Sara had to endure surgeries that would not have been necessary had the original transplant been completed.
- While the hospital makes no denials in the actual events laid out in the lawsuit, it does claim that the actions were not medically negligent.
- The hospital is also being sued by the nurse they fired under claims of wrongful discharge and defamation of character.
Contact an Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of medical malpractice litigation. We have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent clients/victims all over the country.
If you or a loved one have been injured due to medical malpractice, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57