Hospital Mistake Leaves Teen Paralyzed
In 2008, a 14-year-old girl entered Birmingham Children’s Hospital in the UK for a routine gallbladder surgery; she left permanently paralyzed from the waist down. The paralysis was caused by a spinal anaesthetic that was left in the patient's back for two days after the surgery.
“The care we provided fell below our usual high standards…” statement from Birmingham Children's Hospital.
About the Incident
The incident occurred on May 27, 2008 when the British teenager was admitted for surgery to remove gallstones. According to reports, the day after the operation, the patient complained of numbness in her right leg. By the second day, the numbness had spread to both legs and she was barely able to move her feet. It was discovered that doctors had left an epidural in her back. When the painkiller was finally removed, an MRI showed that the anesthetic had entered her spinal cord and damaged the membranes, paralyzing her from the waist down.
The hospital has reportedly accepted full liability for the mistake. Reports indicate that an admission of liability by the hospital has paved the way for a full settlement, which could provide the victim with financial support for the rest of her life.
Contact An Experienced Medical Malpractice Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured because of a doctor’s or hospital’s mistake, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57