Hyundai and Kia Overstate Mileage
According to a Reuters article, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) found mileage errors in 13 Kia and Hyundai models from the 2011 to 2013 model years. The carmakers' marketing focused on their cars' fuel economy, but the findings show that fuel economy was overstated by at least 1 mile per gallon. The EPA said that this is the first time where a large number of vehicles from the same company have deviated so significantly.
Cars Affected by Mileage Errors
- The EPA received consumer complaints about Hyundai mileage estimates.
- The EPA also found discrepancies between test results for a 2012 Hyundai Elantra and information provided by the company. The finding prompted the EPA to expand its investigation.
- About 900,000, or 35 percent, of the cars sold in the United States through October 31 were affected, in addition to 172,000 cars sold in Canada.
About the Mileage Changes
- The 2012 Hyundai-Kia fleet's fuel economy level will be reduced by an average of 3 percent, to 26 mpg from 27 mpg.
- 1 to 2 miles per gallon will reduce the mileage on most labels.
- The largest change will be to one version of a Kia Soul, with a 6-mpg highway reduction.
Reimbursement Program Available for Customers
- The automakers are starting a reimbursement program by giving customers a debit card accounting for the difference in the EPA's fuel economy rating, based on price in their area and miles driven.
- An extra 15 percent will be added for inconvenience.
- Car owners will be able to refresh their debit cards as long as they own their vehicles.
- Automakers did not reveal how much the reimbursement program would cost, but it will be in the millions.
- If all 900,000 U.S. owners receive the payments, the program will cost nearly $80 million.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact our offices immediately – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million