Ibuprofen and Other NSAIDs Increase Heart Attack Risk
According to several news outlets, new research shows that an increased heart attack risk is linked to the use of taking non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). In a report written by CBS News, such drugs include the over-the-counter-pills ibuprofen, naproxen, and even prescriptions such as Celebrex.
Possible Dangers from NSAIDs
According to Medical News Today, a study from researchers from Copenhagen University Hospital Gentofte in Denmark analyzed the statistics in a concentrated group of people who experienced a heart attack and found the following:
- The study covered nearly 100,000 people aged 30 and over who had experienced their first heart attack during 1997 to 2009.
- 44% received one prescription for NSAIDs.
- Examination of data relative to deaths was then studied to rule out other aspects known to impact risk of death or a further heart attack.
- The results showed that a prescription for NSAIDs was linked to a 59% higher risk of death from any cause after one year and 64% higher after five years.
- Risk of a second heart attack or a coronary heart disease was 30% higher after one year and 41% higher after five years.
In 2007, a statement from the American Heart Association urged doctors to use precaution and weigh the risks versus benefits when prescribing NSAIDs to patients with a history or high risk of heart attacks. If you have had a heart attack in the past, consult your doctor before using NSAIDs.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident, contact our offices immediately – we are available 24/7, nights and weekends.