Identifying Worn Tires and Reducing Risks
Worn tires present a major danger for drivers because the control of the vehicle may be compromised which may lead to an accident.
The Real Dangers of Worn Tires
- Heat Build-Up – This issue occurs when the tire wears down, there is less space between the tread grooves for air to flow through and cool the tire. Overheating of the tire can result in tire failure.
- Punctures – A worn tire is more susceptible to being punctured, such as by metal and glass debris, can cause dangerous blow-outs, and can result in the driver losing control of the vehicle.
- Hydroplaning – Hydroplaning is a major issue for worn tires, because the thin tread of a worn tire will skate over a road with water, rather than gripping the road securely with proper tread thickness. Hydroplaning can also cause a driver to lose control of the vehicle and cause an accident.
- Air leakage – Steering, breaking, and fuel economy can be compromised when a tire leaks air. Worn tires are much more likely to leak air
How to Check for Worn Tires
There are several techniques that one may use to check the wear on their tires:
- On a tire are “tread wear bars”, which are small bridges that form between the tire’s treads. The tread wear bars will start to form between the tread. The bars will become level with the tire tread as the tire is worn. When this begins to occur, the tires should be replaced.
- The “penny test” is another way to check for adequate tire tread. Insert a penny, upside down, with Lincoln facing you. If the top of Lincoln’s head is visible, the tread of the tire is too low.
- A tread gauge is a cheap and inexpensive tool that is used to measure tread and can be purchased at most stores with an automotive department.
Contact an Experienced Tire Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of defective tires and tire parts.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident caused by a defective or recalled tire, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We represent clients/victims all over the country. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million