Ikea Recalls Safety Gates – Possible Fall Hazard
The IKEA Furniture Retailer has recently recalled around 75,000 units of its pressure-mounted PATRULL KLÄMMA and PATRULL SMIDIG safety gates after evidence that the gates have caused falls and injuries due to insufficient support.
About the Gate Recall
According to the U.S Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), IKEA has recalled its PATRULL KLÄMMA and PATRULL SMIDIG safety gates due to recent evidence that the gates pose a danger to those who use them. The friction, or lack thereof, between the wall and these pressure-mounted safety gates has been proven to be insufficient to hold the gates in their intended positions, posing a fall hazard to those around the gates. In addition, the metal bar located on the lower half of the gates pose a tripping hazard as well.
Though there have been no reported injuries in the U.S in particular, there have been 18 incidents involving the gates worldwide, three of which involved children who had been injured as a result of falling down stairs.
If in possession of these products, the CPSC urges consumers to stop using the gates and return the product(s) to their nearest IKEA store for a full refund. Those who wish to keep the safety gates are urged to commit to limited use of the products, mostly between doorways of rooms or at the bottom of staircases; these consumers are more than welcome to contact IKEA at any time for free, updated user instructions and also for new adhesive warning labels to place on the gates.
Description of Recalled Products
- The recall involves approximately 75,000 of the safety-gates , 58,000 in the U.S and 17,000 in Canada, have been sold to consumers in-store nationwide and online at www.ikea-usa.com between August 1995 and February 2015 for around $35
- The gates are white, made of steel and plastic, and are around 29 inches high with an adjustable width from about 29 inches to 34 inches
- The gates contain a spring mechanism that fits between the two sides of a door frame or between two walls, that is meant to hold them in place
- The gates have a permanent label, containing their article number, that is attached to the metal bar at the bottom of the gates
- IKEA is recalling gates with the following article numbers: 302-265-21, 500-375-67, 501-919-50, 655-517-10, 700-989-65, and 901-136-01
- The products are manufactured in Denmark and imported by the IKEA North America Services LLC of Conshohocken, PA
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$1.8 MillionExpenses: $20,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $765,000.00 | Net to Client: $1 Million
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULTS
$2 MillionExpenses: $78,475.96 | Attorneys Fees: $850,087.96 | Net to Client: $1,071,436.00
AUTOMOBILE ACCIDENT RESULT
$2.3 MillionExpenses: $200,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $900,000.00 | Net to Client: $1.2 Million