Independence Day Fireworks Safety
Each year, during the first week of July, thousands of Americans are admitted to emergency rooms with burn injuries caused by fireworks. Last year was no different – 65% of all firework-related injuries in the United States in 2011 occurred on or around the 4th of July. This year, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is encouraging Americans to be aware of the risks and celebrate safely.
“CPSC wants you to understand the risks with legal and illegal fireworks, in order to prevent an injury, or worse, during this holiday,” CPSC Chairman Inez Tenenbaum.
4th of July Firework Injury Facts and Statistics
- In 2011, four people died and 9,600 consumers were injured in firework accidents.
- A majority of these injuries occurred on or near July 4th weekend.
- According to the CPSC, more than half of these injuries were the result of unexpected ignition.
- In the four fatal accidents last year, the victims were killed when the devices exploded. The explosion caused severe trauma to the head and face, and one of the accidents resulted in decapitation.
Facts About Firework Injuries
- Most fireworks injuries result in burns to the head. These burns are often to the eyes, face, and ears.
- Other firework accidents result in severe hand burns which can result in the loss of fingers.
- In most accidents, sparklers, firecrackers, and flying firework devices are involved.
- Firework accident fatalities are nearly always caused by a device that malfunctions and explodes.
Firework Safety Tips
- Closely supervise children playing with fireworks.
- Never allow small children to ignite fireworks.
- When popping fireworks, always keep a bucket of water or hose close by.
- Never place any part of the body directly over a firework device.
- Never point fireworks in the direction of another person.
- Never try to relight a malfunctioning firework device.
- Never shoot off fireworks out of a glass or metal container.
- Only purchase legal fireworks.
- Never buy fireworks which come in a brown paper bag because they may not be meant for the sale to consumers.
Thomas J. Henry Personal Injury Attorneys
Thomas J. Henry is a personal injury law firm with offices in Corpus Christi, Texas, San Antonio, Texas and Houston, Texas representing accident victims nationwide. Our priority is to provide our clients with the best legal representation. Our experienced trial attorneys are committed to defending your rights in personal injury matters including defective products, recalled drugs, child injuries, and auto accidents.
RECENT MEDICAL MALPRACTICE RESULT
$10.9 MillionExpenses: $175,000.00 | Attorneys Fees: $3,200,000.00 | Net to Client: $4,029,762.00 (Purchase of a Lifetime Annuity)
RECENT VEHICLE RECALL RESULT
$30.2 MillionExpenses: $39,576.15 | Attorneys Fees: $10,060,980.00 | Net to Client: $20,121,960.57