Indianapolis Apartment Blast Injuries Six
Six people were injured Thursday evening after an explosion blew the roof and some of the walls of an Indianapolis apartment building, according to the IndyStar.
About the Indianapolis Apartment Explosion
- At approximately 10:00 p.m. an explosion was reported at the Pangea Riverside Apartments located in the 2600 block of Cold Spring Manor Drive. The building is reported as off-campus student housing for Marian University.
- The building had an estimated $250,000 of structural damage to the roof and some of the walls. The damage was centered in two of the building’s ten units.
- Six people were injured including a 19-year-old woman and a 20-year-old man treated for slight burn injuries. The other four were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure.
- 23 people were displaced by the blast.
- Some residents reported smelling what was described as “dirty water” or “sewer gas” moments before the blast.
Gas Leak Safety Tips
SafeGas.org provides the following Dos and Don’ts for natural gas safety.
- If you ever smell a natural gas odor, immediately leave the area. Contact your natural gas provider or 911 to report the smell.
- Get gas appliances inspected on a routine basis by a qualified professional.
- Don’t use your stove or oven for anything other than cooking.
- Don’t store chemicals or combustible materials near gas appliances.