Infant Visits ER After Drinking E-Cig Fluid
“Better off Drinking Bleach or Lysol”
The parents of the young boy called 911 immediately after speaking with poison control stating that their infant son had ingested liquid nicotine.
According to a FOX affiliate in Philadelphia, doctors at the ER told the parents of the child that the boy would have been better off drinking bleach or Lysol than the liquid nicotine.
Dave Norris of Blue Door Vapor told the press that an extreme form of nicotine is used effectively as a pesticide.
It is estimated that a single vial of the e-cigarette fluid contains the same amount of nicotine as five packs of cigarettes.
The child has recovered, and authorities do not plan to press charges.
Nicotine Poisoning on the Rise
- Recent data shows a dramatic increase in the number of nicotine poisoning cases over the past four years.
- According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there was roughly one report of nicotine poisoning per month in 2010. By 2014, that number had jumped to about 215 reported cases per month.
- The majority of calls to poison centers regarding e-cigarettes involve children under the age of five.