J&J to Pay $600K for First DePuy Hip Cases
Johnson and Johnson (J&J) will pay about $600,000 in the first three settlements over its DePuy hip replacement devices, according to Bloomberg news. J&J currently faces approximately 8,000 lawsuits over metal hip replacements that were recalled in 2010.
About the Hip-Replacement Lawsuits
- J&J recalled 93,000 of its DePuy ASR metal hips worldwide, including 37,000 in the U.S.
- The recall was due to the device's 12 percent figure failure rate within five years.
- According to court filings, J&J faces about 8,000 lawsuits over the defective ASR hip replacements.
- U.S. District Judge David Katz is overseeing 6,000 of the lawsuits, which have been consolidated in the U.S. District Court in Toledo, Ohio.
- J&J is also defending itself in more than 2,000 cases filed in courts in Maryland, California, Nevada and other states.
J&J To Settle First Three Cases
The first cases J&J expects to settle were filed in state court in Las Vegas by three women who had the ASR hip implants removed. These women experienced pain and other side effects, including bone damage associated with metal filings from the metal hips.
Problems from ASR Hip Implants
- Patients with ASR metal hip implants have had to undergo hip-revision surgery due to a variety of significant problems.
- Metal debris can be released from the hips, which are made from a cobalt and chromium alloy.
- This can cause tissue death around the joint, bone damage, and an increase of metal ions in the bloodstream to harmful levels.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of drug and product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division have extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. The Defective Drug and Products Division represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/ or defective pharmaceuticals.
If you or a loved one have been injured by or have developed serious side-effects from the use of defective medications or medical devices, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.