J&M Daycare Center Closed After Child Abuse Allegations
On May 19th, Dothan First News obtained a video depicting child abuse at J&M Daycare Center in Abbeville. The video depicts what appears to be a female caretaker violently striking a young child, who is screaming in pain. The daycare has since been closed
Video Results in Criminal Investigation
Abbeville Police Chief Noel Vanlaningham says that, according to the daycare's owner, the daycare is no longer operating. He says he doesn't understand why somebody would beat a child so aggressively. “There's no sense in it,” said Vanlaningham. “I think the parents should be responsible for discipline.”
According to Vanlaningham, J&M Daycare received a separate accusation of child abuse back in 2010, in which three children at the daycare told police that they had all been beaten by the head caretaker on a regular basis.
Vanlaningham says that the alleged perpetrator in this case is a female employee of the daycare. The former employee could face three separate charges of aggravated child abuse, torture, and willful abuse.
Child Abuse Facts and Statistics
According to the Childhelp Foundation:
- Just 28.3% of child abuse cases are of a physical nature.
- 20.7% of cases involve sexual abuse.
- The remaining types of child abuse include emotional abuse, physical neglect, and emotional neglect.
- A report of child abuse is made every ten seconds in the United States.
- Between four and five children die every day due to child abuse in the United States.
- Every year, more than 6.6 million children are referred to child protection agencies after alleged abuse.