Kid’s Travel Beds Recalled- 1 Death Reported
KidCo Inc., a company based in Libertyville IL, announced a voluntary recall of 220,000 of their PeaPod and PeaPod plus travel beds on November 16, 2012.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, these products are unfit because infants and young children can roll off the edge of the inflatable air mattress, become entrapped between the mattress and the fabric sides of the tent, and suffocate.
Death and Serious Injuries Reported
- So far, the CPSC knows of six incident reports, and Health Canada is aware of three reports, where children have experienced trauma or discomfort from these products.
- Of the six reports that the CPSC received, two of them involved infants that where found crying underneath a mattresses that had not been properly inserted into the zippered pocket located at the bottom of the tent
- .CPSC had been notified of the death of a five year old New York boy during December of 2011. The young child was discovered with his face pressed against a side wall of the tent. The exact cause of death has not been discovered.
KidCo Product Recall Information
Information provided by: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
- KidCo Travel beds are small, portable sleeping tents manufactured for use in young children, from birth to 3+ years.
- These products have been on sale since 2005, through Amazon.com and other second party stores.
- The cost of this product was around roughly $100.
- Anyone who has purchased a tent should stop using it immediately and contact KidCo to obtain a complimentary repair kit.
Important Information for KidCo Product Owners
If you experience any issues with this product you can contact KidCo toll-free at (855) 847-8600 between 8:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s website at www.kidco.com to receive the kit.
- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is also interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about your experience with the product on SaferProducts.gov
Contact an Experienced Child Safety Recall Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in both product liability litigation and child injury. If your child has been the victim of a serious injury due to a recalled product, contact our offices. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends, and we represent clients/victims all over the country.