Knoxville Steel Mill Explosion Injures Six
More about the Steel Mill Explosion
- The blast happened at the Gerdau Ameristeel Mill in Knoxville, TN in a section of the mill where metal is melted.
- Six workers were injured in the blast including one worker listed in critical condition with burn injuries to over 80% of his body.
- Neighboring residents report hearing the blast from blocks away.
Workplace Injury Facts
The U.S. Occupational Safety & Health Administration estimates that 4,628 workers were killed on the job in 2012. Averaged out, 89 workers were killed each week. Furthermore:
- 748 worker fatalities were to Hispanic or Latino workers.
- 15% of fatal workplace injuries were to contractors.
- 19.3% of worker fatalities in the private sector were construction workers. The leading causes of construction worker fatalities were falls (34.6%), struck by object (9.8%), electrocution (8.1%), and caught-in/between (1.6%).