Lawsuit- Propecia Causes Impotence
Pharmaceutical giant Merck & Co. has been hit with a class action lawsuit alleging the drug maker failed to warn consumers about the sexual side effects associated with Propecia, their popular mail pattern baldness drug. The men who filed suit are charging Merck with failure to warn, negligence, strict product liability, and breach of warranty. They are seeking $100,000, plus punitive damages and court costs for injuries from side effects as well as emotional distress and anxiety.
The men are not alone in their claims. The sexual side effects of Propecia (finasteride) have been well-documented in recent months. A study published by the Journal of Sexual Medicine in March reported that a number of men experienced severe sexual side effects from taking the hair loss drug. About the study:
- Researchers interviewed 71 men, ages 21-46, who took Propecia
- The men interviewed complained of sexual side effects from taking Propecia
- 94% of these men developed low libido
- 92% developed erectile dysfunction
- 92% developed decreased arousal
- 69% developed problems with orgasms after taking the hair loss drug for an average of 28 months
- A small percentage of men experienced symptoms even after they stopped taking the medication
- Approved by the FDA in 1992
- Used to treat male-pattern baldness
- Main active ingredient is finasteride (a 5-alpha-reductase inhibitor)
- 5-alpha-reductase inhibitors have been linked to erectile dysfunction, impotence, loss of sexual desire, and depression
- In 2008, Propecia sales earned $429 million for Merck & Co.
Contact an Experienced Product Liability Attorney
Thomas J. Henry are leaders in the area of product liability litigation. Our Defective Drug and Products Division has extensive knowledge and resources in order to represent our clients efficiently and aggressively. We represent a multitude of people who are battling against manufacturers of medical devices and/or defective pharmaceuticals.
Your choice does matter. If you or a loved one has suffered serious injuries because of any defective drugs and/or products, call Thomas J. Henry immediately. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.